quetzaltenango

dan goes to mexico, guatemala, honduras, nicaragua and panama

quetzaltenango

Postby danmason on Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:33 pm

Hello everyone. I was having a great time in san cristobal, but the whole spanish thing was bugging me. So I decieded to head for San Pedro, the cheapest place in the world to learn spanish ($55/week). But I ended up coming to quetzaltenango instead. Luckily, san pedro is only about 1.5 hours from here. I´ll be here for at least a week, since i paid for a week up front. Its 150 quetzals for 1 week, thats about $21 dollars US. Anyhopw, I traded my funny money for some other funny money, and now i´m all set. how is minnesota? Looks like about 20f. HAHA!

much love, Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Postby rachel on Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:56 pm

i'm jealous that you're going to learn spanish the REAL way--in that environment, especially starting by being enrolled in some sort of program, you are going to become totally fluent. it looks like i won't be able to start learning spanish yet--i am going to apply to a PhD program that will require me to proficiently read both french and german, so i need to start brushing up my french, rather than starting afresh with a new language (at least, a new language other than german...). i just have a secret fantasy about being fluent in ANY foreign language! it sounds like you're getting along really well! are you meeting people? americans, europeans, those damn omnipresent australians? what do you DO when you are having a great time? exploring ruins?
love you,
rachel<
rachel
Family

Postby danmason on Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:11 pm

rachel wrote:i'm jealous that you're going to learn spanish the REAL way--in that environment, especially starting by being enrolled in some sort of program, you are going to become totally fluent.

ive been feeling kind of lazy, so i havnt started learning spanish yet. i think ill sign up for a week, and start on monday. i spose i should start looking at the schools.

rachel wrote: it looks like i won't be able to start learning spanish yet--i am going to apply to a PhD program that will require me to proficiently read both french and german, so i need to start brushing up my french, rather than starting afresh with a new language (at least, a new language other than german...). i just have a secret fantasy about being fluent in ANY foreign language!

yeah, id like to be a babelfish as well.

rachel wrote: it sounds like you're getting along really well! are you meeting people? americans, europeans, those damn omnipresent australians?

yeah, people from switzerland, sweden, germany, isreal, france, spain, and italy so far. i think ive heard some aussies, though i dont know any of them. i have determined that i dont like swiss-french people. oh yeah, lots of guatemalans and mexicans too, heh.

rachel wrote: what do you DO when you are having a great time? exploring ruins?
love you,

well, ive been climbing on ruinas, and swimming in waterfalls. today i walked all over xela (the mayan name for quetzaltenango, pronounced as shay-la). i walked to the southern edge of town and climbed part way up a hill. the city is surrounded by massive hills, youd almost call them mountains. the view was amazing, i tried to make a panoranmic photo, well see how it turns out. i found a DHL location, so im going to see if i can DHL my film to clubphoto instead of mailing it, which is slow and unreliable.
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Postby kmason on Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:16 pm

Hi Dan,

What&#8217;s shaking in Xela? I read that there&#8217;s an organization (Quetzaltrek) that leads group tours of the area. I don&#8217;t really understand from your posts whether you are going to study Spanish in Xela or wait until you get to San Pedro. Also, does the $55/week include room and board along with the Spanish lessons? (I know some schools do this.) How will you know whether it&#8217;s a good school or not?

So, you intended go to San Pedro but ended up in Quetzaltenango; was this due to your limited knowledge of Spanish? Then you paid to stay for a week in the town to which you didn&#8217;t mean to go&#8212;language problems again, or you just don't understand the money? (I&#8217;m just teasing you, or rather, I&#8217;m passing along Jonathan&#8217;s sly remarks from last night when I gave him an update on your travels. :wink: )

The high here today is supposed to be a balmy 32 degrees F, but at least we don&#8217;t have much snow (unlike the east coast&#8212;Rachel left work early yesterday because of the snow!). I&#8217;m really looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Love you bunches,
Mom
kmason
Family

Postby kmason on Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:18 pm

Whoa, sorry about that last post! I wrote in Word and pasted it into the forum; the misplaced numbers are supposed to be apostrophes!

Mom
kmason
Family

dan we miss you

Postby schulte on Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:35 pm

dan mason, we miss you and want you to come back soon.

--schulte.org
schulte

Postby danmason on Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:19 pm

kmason wrote:Whats shaking in Xela? I read that theres an organization (Quetzaltrek) that leads group tours of the area.

yeah, quetzaltrekkers is based out of the hotel im staying in, casa argentina.

kmason wrote: I dont really understand from your posts whether you are going to study Spanish in Xela or wait until you get to San Pedro. Also, does the $55/week include room and board along with the Spanish lessons? (I know some schools do this.) How will you know whether its a good school or not?

yes, i plan to study spanish here, just not till next week. and no, i dont think the $55 includes a homestay, which the spanish schools often do. but in san pedro, hotels are between $1-$2 US.

kmason wrote:So, you intended go to San Pedro but ended up in Quetzaltenango; was this due to your limited knowledge of Spanish?

no, it was more that i saw a bus for xela, and decieded to go.

kmason wrote: Then you paid to stay for a week in the town to which you didnt mean to go;language problems again, or you just don't understand the money? (Im just teasing you, or rather, Im passing along Jonathans sly remarks from last night when I gave him an update on your travels. :wink: )

i paid for a week because i like the place, and it was only $21. i know enough spanish to get around, just not enough to talk some mad smack.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Re: dan we miss you

Postby danmason on Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:20 pm

schulte wrote:dan mason, we miss you and want you to come back soon.

i guess depnding on your definition of soon, sure!

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Postby kmason on Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:21 pm

OK, Dan, thanks for the update. I will be emailing that recipe that you asked for shortly.
Love you,
Mom
kmason
Family

Return to mexico and central america