panajachel and san pedro

dan goes to mexico, guatemala, honduras, nicaragua and panama

panajachel and san pedro

Postby danmason on Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:23 pm

there wasnt much going on in xela this weekend, so today i went to lago atitlan. it is much warmer here, probably 70 right now. ill go back to xela tomorrow morning. this place is so cheap, i think illl come back in a week or so. i had a massive meal, filet of some fish. it was really good, and only cost me $5. the lake is huge, it takes about 20-25 minutes to cross from panajachel to san pedro. there is a spanish school in san pedro, thats charges $55 for a week of class, and lodging. there are 3 volcanos around the lake. i dont think ill climb a volcano this time. but you can walk up, or ride a horse.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Postby Lee Christoffersen on Sun Dec 08, 2002 4:46 pm

Hi Dan, Sounds like you are having quite a time. So glad to hear that you will be taking Spanish. That is a pretty fair price if you get lodging too. I am just amazed at the fantistic things you are doing and plan to do. By the way, have ever been horse back riding? Hope you haven't run into any unpleasantness......but would you tell us if you did? I doubt it. It is sooooo much fun to read you postings. It is exciting to be able to tell friends and relatives about it. :wink: I meant to get a smiling face symbol but I guess I goofed. Keep the good news coming. You write very well indeed.......I didn't know that! Maybe we will get better acquainted just through this correspondence, right? Take care and stay safe.......love you a bushel and a peck. Good ole' Gram
Lee Christoffersen

Postby danmason on Sun Dec 08, 2002 7:24 pm

Lee Christoffersen wrote:By the way, have ever been horse back riding?

yeah, but it was a long time ago. ive heard mixed things about the trails to the volcanos, aparently the security isnt so great.

Lee Christoffersen wrote:Hope you haven't run into any unpleasantness......but would you tell us if you did?

i probably would post about troubles, so far everything has been great.
danmason
Drunken Pirate

fairly significant problem, narrowly overted

Postby danmason on Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:29 am

danmason wrote:probably would post about troubles, so far everything has been great.

as i paid at the internet cafe yesterday, i realized i had made a huge mistake. yesterday afternoon i used a bancared atm, which is a rather old style atm. the bancared atms at the end of your transaction, ask you if you want another transaction. in the US they stopped doing this because people would forget to press no, and would forget their atm cards in the machine. well, yesterday thats what i did. luckily, the atm must have a timeout or something, because it kept my card. i went down there today at 7am, and waited in front of the machines as the banks opened. the first couple banks said they didnt maintain the machine, but at 9am a bank called CFN opened. the banker came out, and got my card out of the machine. i showed him my passport for id, and now i have my card again. i had some backup ways of getting cash, but thankfully i dont have to use them... yet. anyhow, my day is getting much better.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

good luck

Postby Granpa Bill on Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:09 pm

Sounds like your guardian angel is looking over your shoulder. This is my first reply although I have been reading all your posts since you left town.
We really enjoy reading about your travels and adventures, and are happy that you have not encountered any insurmountable troubles.It seems like you are seeing a lot of interesting sights, I hope you have taken some good photos so we can see them too when you get back. I suppose you are picking up some spanish, but i'm sure the school will help you communicate much better.
We are wishing you continued good luck. G & G :D
Granpa Bill

Re: good luck

Postby danmason on Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:56 pm

Granpa Bill wrote:I hope you have taken some good photos so we can see them too when you get back.

yeah, I hope the pictures turn out too! i was going to ship 3 rolls in today, but it turns out DHL to the states is US $50 for my 3 rolls of film. So im going to figure out where the nearest trans-american dropoff is, i think theyre much cheaper.

Granpa Bill wrote:I suppose you are picking up some spanish, but i'm sure the school will help you communicate much better.

my first spanish class starts in about 5 minutes, so well see. they give you a free hour of internet access for each day of class. its kind of funny, they use linux here.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Postby the mom on Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:36 am

Hi Dan,

Reading between the lines, you must have spent a rather troubled night wondering about your missing ATM card. I'm so glad it turned out OK.

Reading your posts and everyone's replies has become one of the highlights of my day :) . I think about you a lot, and I encourage people to check out your forum. (I think that some people who read the forum are hesitant to post. Be brave, readers! Just say hello!)

How is your Spanish class?

Love you lots,
Mom
the mom

Big Bro

Postby Lyssie on Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:10 pm

HELLO BIG BRO!

Hope you learn lots of spanish so that you can keep up with my two years of learning the ol' espaniole'! haha....si..... anywhoo, any good food down there? hopefully they have plenty of meat for your carniverous taste! ITS COLD HERE! :shock: Hope you can send some pics, i'd like to make you a scrap book or something! cute huh? awwww.. :wink: okay Dan, I love you! :D
~*~Live ~*~ Laugh ~*~ Loved~*~ Be loved~*~
Lyssie
Family

tropical Minnesota

Postby kmason on Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:25 pm

Hey, it's not that cold here! It is supposed to reach 45 today and 48 tomorrow. It's practically spring-like! (Or, fall-like. Or warm-winter-day like.)
kmason
Family

Dude! Beautiful up here!

Postby Uncle Dad on Tue Dec 24, 2002 6:20 pm

It is xmas eve...

Snowing outside most of the day, gifts to the kids have been cool, and I got email from an old employee who wanted to show us a picture of a mountain.

Yah, I like it...
Uncle Dad

Return to mexico and central america