san pedro la laguna

dan goes to mexico, guatemala, honduras, nicaragua and panama

san pedro la laguna

Postby danmason on Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:45 pm

so i got a little bored of xela, and now im in san pedro la laguna. its very nice here. its going to take me a week to digest my notes from the 2 days of spanish school. ill probably take some classes here too.


Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:04 am

Postby Lee Christoffersen on Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:50 pm

Hi Dan,
Are you busy digesting your Spanish notes? Do you feel that this crash course in a foreign language will help a lot in communicating......I suppose you are hoping for that result and I'm sure that will be the case. Anyway good luck in your endeavor. We went shopping today and it was a mad house. It has been cloudy all day but not too freezing cold. How are you doing without a jacket? A bit chilly in the evenings I bet. Again take good care of yourself and thanks for all the postings .....we love 'em.
Love you Dan,
Gram
Lee Christoffersen
 

Postby danmason on Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:12 am

Lee Christoffersen wrote:It has been cloudy all day but not too freezing cold. How are you doing without a jacket? A bit chilly in the evenings I bet.


I was a little cold in Xela during the evenings, but not here in san pedro. Its nice and warm during the day, and the nights are just cool enough too be comfortable. Today I am switching hotels. I found one with a nice view of the lake. The hotel I stayed in last night was ok, but you couldnt see the lake. That and to get there its a long, obscure route through alleys and odd twisting walkways. It was fine during the day, but at night it was a bit confusing, and dark. They have a bunch of really good restaurants here, and most food costs around 20Q, which is just under $3 US. Some of the bars have free movies nightly. There are a lot of travellers here, though not as many as panajachel. I know a few people here that I met in xela, and san cristobal. Adios!


Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:04 am

Postby kmason on Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:39 am

Hi Dan,

It sounds like you're having a wonderful time! I'm so glad!

What are you doing during the day, besides studying your Spanish notes? Was it a good class?

Love you,
Mom
kmason
Family
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:28 am

Postby danmason on Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:38 am

kmason wrote:What are you doing during the day, besides studying your Spanish notes? Was it a good class?


just walking around the city, and hanging out. the scenery here is pretty cool. a massive lake, and the trees look just like minnesota. but then there are 3 volcanoes, and massive mountains that surround the lake. it doesnt quite look like minnesota though because the buildings are almost all cynder block houses with steel roofs. the hotel im in now is right on the lake, and there is a balcony the length of the building on each floor, and you can go up on the 4th story, which is the roof.


kmason wrote:Was it a good class?


yeah, but its a lot of information when its 1 on 1 teaching for 5 hours. ill probably hold off on spanish till i memorize the stuff from the last 2 classes. anyhow, time for breakfast.
danmason
Drunken Pirate
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:04 am

chocobanana

Postby danmason on Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:37 am

hey guys, down here they sell chocobananas. they are frozen bananas covered with chocolate. it tastes like bana ice cream, very good, and they cost 1 quetzal, 7.5 quetzals to the dollar.


Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:04 am

Re: chocobanana

Postby kb on Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:45 pm

danmason wrote:hey guys, down here they sell chocobananas. they are frozen bananas covered with chocolate. it tastes like bana ice cream, very good, and they cost 1 quetzal, 7.5 quetzals to the dollar.


Man, the fruit in central america is so much better too! The stuff that we get ripens on the truck, but the stuff that you can eat there ripens on the tree. What a huge difference it makes.... you bastard!

:)

kb
kb
 

Re: chocobanana

Postby danmason on Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:40 pm

kb wrote:Man, the fruit in central america is so much better too! The stuff that we get ripens on the truck, but the stuff that you can eat there ripens on the tree. What a huge difference it makes.... you bastard!


and if a vender has rotten fruit, i just walk to the next one, until i find the good stuff. there is a small market in this town, but if i cross the lake, i can take a 5 minute busride to a huge market.


Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:04 am

Big Broda

Postby Lyssie on Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:19 am

DAN! :shock:
I'm so jealous of you right now! and that chocobanana sounds good man! My question to you is how in the heck do you keep finding these internet places? WHat are they, cafe's? Im going to miss you so much for christmas! Im angry at you for that. So your hangin' with other travelers huh? must be nice to talk to them about what your doing and maybe get some 411 on where to go. How much money did you bring with you down there? You can stretch it alot i see. Thats good. Well, i miss you lots. dont drink the water :shock: ....be safe. :lol: .... dont get in any fights :x ......or arrested :cry: .. and evrything else good. I LOVE YOU!!!!!!! :wink:

Love Lyssie
~*~Live ~*~ Laugh ~*~ Loved~*~ Be loved~*~
Lyssie
Family
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:03 pm
Location: Maplewood

Re: Big Broda

Postby danmason on Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:21 pm

Lyssie wrote:My question to you is how in the heck do you keep finding these internet places? WHat are they, cafe's?


the internet cafes are everywhere. the intersection im at right now is 50 feet from the dock, and there are 3 internet cafes here.

Lyssie wrote:Im going to miss you so much for christmas! Im angry at you for that. So your hangin' with other travelers huh? must be nice to talk to them about what your doing and maybe get some 411 on where to go.


sorry i cant be there for christmas but its somewhere around 50 hours on the bus each way. for the past few days ive been hanging out with another american and a belgian that speaks american english, which is really helping my spanish. heh.

Lyssie wrote:How much money did you bring with you down there? You can stretch it alot i see. Thats good.


not much, but there are banks and atms all over. here in san pedro i have to cross the lake to panajachel to get cash. the only bank here has no atm, or bancared visa machine.


love you, Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:04 am

Hey Dan...

Postby BC on Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:57 pm

Hi Dan!
I just got done catching up on all your posts and the replies. It sounds like you're having a great time being an international traveler. No doubt all who read of your travels ponder being there with you. You'll be missed this Christmas and just about everyone would like to enjoy the warm climate where you're at so we will be thinking about you through the holidays. Be well, learn to speak Español (it will take you far in life) and of course, HAVE A BLAST!
Lots of Love and our best to you,
Brian, Cheryl, Z&K
BC
Family
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:31 pm

local cuisine

Postby kmason on Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:06 pm

Hello Dan!

I have been wanting to ask you about the food. So far, the only thing you have mentioned as being good are the chocobananas. What else have you been eating that you can recommend?

Love you,
Mom
kmason
Family
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:28 am

Let's hear from you

Postby Lee Christoffersen on Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:51 pm

Hi Dan,
We are eager to hear from you again. Are you staying in that nice hotel that you told us about that overlooks a large lake? Are you eating healthy food regularly? Tell us about people you are meeting and those you hang out with. "Felis Navidad"
Love,
Gram
Lee Christoffersen
 

Re: local cuisine

Postby danmason on Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:01 pm

kmason wrote:I have been wanting to ask you about the food. So far, the only thing you have mentioned as being good are the chocobananas. What else have you been eating that you can recommend?


Ive been eating a lot of good food. breakfast is pretty typical, huevos (eggs), frijoles (black beans), papas (potatoes), and other veggies. for dinner, ive had all kinds of food, some guatemalan, some american, some others. mostly cheap. you cna also always find tacos.


Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:04 am

Re: Let's hear from you

Postby danmason on Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:09 pm

Lee Christoffersen wrote:We are eager to hear from you again. Are you staying in that nice hotel that you told us about that overlooks a large lake? Are you eating healthy food regularly? Tell us about people you are meeting and those you hang out with. "Felis Navidad"


Yeah, i am still at valle azul. i like the place, and the people who run it. they also have a economic restaurant. i dont know if the food is healthy, it certainly tastes better than it does in the US. vegitables and fruit are days old, instead of weeks. did you know that an orange is actually green? Im meeting all kinds of people, from all over the world. i bought a ticket to a christmas party, and a few people ive met are also going. anyways, gotta go.


Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:04 am

Next

Return to mexico and central america

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron

Fatal error: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php in /home/www.danmason.net/htdocs/phpBB3/includes/acm/acm_file.php on line 106