Postby danmason on Tue Dec 24, 2002 12:26 pm

Here is a picture of me in San Pedro!

http://www.danmason.net/gallery/album01/Picture_005

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

phone number

Postby danmason on Tue Dec 24, 2002 12:42 pm

BTW, aparently you can call the restaurant at my hotel, and ask for me. If youre going to do this, let me know what time youll be calling, so I can be sure to be there. Aparently the number is 00 502 721 8152.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Merry Christmas from Minnesota

Postby Mom on Tue Dec 24, 2002 6:02 pm

Dear Dan,

Great photo! It's a little bit like a Christmas present for all of us who are thinking of you and wishing you were here. What a beautiful place--and you look well and happy. We will all miss you especially today and tomorrow, but I'm so happy for you that you are where you want to be, doing what you want to do.

The tree is lit, the gifts are wrapped, and Rachel is in the kitchen, baking coconut macaroons. Just as I do every year, I got a new ornament for each of you kids. Since you're not here to unwrap it, yours is hanging on the tree. It's a sun character (since you are a sun character), wearing glasses (just as you do now) and reading a book.

Please tell us more about the Christmas party you are going to. Will it be tonight, or tomorrow? I am imagining that there will be food, drinks, and a band (versus a Christmas tree, singing carols, and eggnog). How do Guatemalans in your area celebrate Christmas? Are ther public religious celebrations in the community?

I've been reading about Lake Atitlan, and all of the small villages that surround the lake. Are you thinking about visiting any of them?

Well, off to Grandma and Grandpa's house now, if I can get your sister out of the kitchen!

Love you - Merry Christmas!
Mom
Mom

Christmas eve call

Postby Mom on Tue Dec 24, 2002 7:46 pm

Hi Dan,

We have been trying to call you!! But we can't get through! We get lots of different busy signals and beeps. We'll keep trying, but I don't expect that you will want to sit at the restaurant all night. It seems very possible that all of the circuits are busy on christmas eve, or the problem may be with Mom and Dad's phone service (they don't have a long distance carrier; they use 10-10-811).

Sorry! We all wanted to talk to you and are very disappointed!

Love you so much,
Mom and all the family
Mom

Re: Merry Christmas from Minnesota

Postby danmason on Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:08 pm

Mom wrote:Please tell us more about the Christmas party you are going to. Will it be tonight, or tomorrow? I am imagining that there will be food, drinks, and a band (versus a Christmas tree, singing carols, and eggnog). How do Guatemalans in your area celebrate Christmas? Are ther public religious celebrations in the community?

there was no band. just music, spiked punch, and endless food. there was a parade. they mostly seem to drink, and blow up firecrackers. i havnt seen too much public celebration of religion, other than the baby jesus in the parade, but he was on a float with santa. the people down here seem to like jesus, they have pictures around, and bumper stickers that say things like ´jesus es mi amigo´ and ´jesus es me pastor´. but its not like they send mentally disturbed people around handing out flyers.

Mom wrote: I've been reading about Lake Atitlan, and all of the small villages that surround the lake. Are you thinking about visiting any of them?

Ive been to santiago atitlan, solola, and panajachel a few times.
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Re: Christmas eve call

Postby danmason on Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:11 pm

Mom wrote:We have been trying to call you!! But we can't get through! We get lots of different busy signals and beeps. We'll keep trying, but I don't expect that you will want to sit at the restaurant all night. It seems very possible that all of the circuits are busy on christmas eve, or the problem may be with Mom and Dad's phone service (they don't have a long distance carrier; they use 10-10-811).

Id guess its the 10-10-811, I think those deals are US only. People had been getting calls on both of the numbers I gave you all day. Either way, Im glad I got through.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

phone calls

Postby kmason on Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:00 pm

Hi Dan,

We were all very happy to talk to you, too. Don't forget to give us the ID number for your calling card and the phone number for us to call to add some minutes to your card.

Love you,
Mom
kmason
Family

Return to mexico and central america