flores

dan goes to mexico, guatemala, honduras, nicaragua and panama

flores

Postby danmason on Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:53 pm

i bought a shuttle ticket to flores for next sunday. with the shuttle i still have to go through guatemala city, but i dont have to switch busses, or bus stations. its also more comfortable than the chicken busses, and faster.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

frequent flyer miles

Postby schulte on Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:47 pm

Well Dan, in about 8,000 freq flyer miles I can fly to anywhere in North, Central and South America for free. I'll see if I can hold out until then and come visit you..... when are you coming home, anyhow? You can't have an endless supply of money? --schulte
schulte

Re: frequent flyer miles

Postby danmason on Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:32 pm

schulte wrote:Well Dan, in about 8,000 freq flyer miles I can fly to anywhere in North, Central and South America for free. I'll see if I can hold out until then and come visit you..... when are you coming home, anyhow? You can't have an endless supply of money?

Cool. I think Ill be back in April/May, though Im not really certain. As for cash, I have enough, and the third world is cheap. Including all my transportation, lodging, food, and other things I dont think Ive spent more than 600 or 700 US so far. Anyhow, let me know if you want to visit. In a couple weeks I should be in the bay island off honduras. I think there is an airport pretty close in La Ceiba. The bay islands would be a good place to get away from the Minnesota cold. Adios!

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Postby kmason on Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:46 pm

Dear Dan,

Wow, you've only spent about $600-700 so far? That's great!

Are you really thinking about buying land in Guatemala? Would you get a place with a house already on it (and was that included in your estimate of about $2700 US--in other words, what could you get for that price?)

And of course, the other question is, would you get a job there, or would you work up here May - October and live there the rest of the year? (Sounds pretty good!)

Love you,
Mom
kmason
Family

Postby danmason on Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:46 pm

kmason wrote:Are you really thinking about buying land in Guatemala? Would you get a place with a house already on it (and was that included in your estimate of about $2700 US--in other words, what could you get for that price?)

Not right now. This is a very nice place to live. I havnt seen enough of central america yet though.

kmason wrote:And of course, the other question is, would you get a job there, or would you work up here May - October and live there the rest of the year? (Sounds pretty good!)

Jobs down here pay $4-$6 a day, so no. If anything, Id open a bar down here.
danmason
Drunken Pirate

next leg of the trip

Postby danmason on Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:08 pm

I did some planning, and figured out the route that Im going to take for the next leg of the trip. Im still going to Flores on Sunday, then Ill stay there for a few days, and visit the Tikal Ruinas. From there Ill go south to Rio Dulce, and catch a boat down the river to Livingston. Since Ive never seen an ocean, I may spend some time in Livingston, depending on the quality of the beach, and things to do. From there Ill catch a boat to Puerto Barrios. I think a boat will be more fun than messing around with more chicken busses. Then from Puerto Barrios, Ill catch a bus to a city called Finca La Inca, where I can take a pickup truck to the Honduran border. Once I get into Honduras, I take another pickup to Tegulcigalpita where I can take a bus to Omoa. Aparently Oama is a nice place, so Ill probably stay there for a few days. From Omoa I can take a bus to Puerto Cortes. In Puerto Cortes they actually have a train that connects to Tela. The train ride is about 4 hours, and from Tela Ill catch a bus to La Ceiba. La Ceiba is the city where Ill catch a ferry to Utila or Roatan, two of the bay islands. So anyhow, that is my rough plan. Ive been reading a lot about Nicaragua, and I think Ill go there after Honduras. Adios!

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Dan's itinerary

Postby kmason on Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:10 pm

Hey Dan, thanks for all of the details! This gives me lots of things to read about in all of the guidebooks I borrowed from the library. But what is this about "catching a pickup truck"? Is this a form of public transportation?

Love,
Mom
kmason
Family

Re: Dan's itinerary

Postby danmason on Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:32 pm

kmason wrote:But what is this about "catching a pickup truck"? Is this a form of public transportation?

Yeah, I think they call them camionetas. Asside from the chicken bus, camionetas are the most popular form of transportation down here. Basically people drive pickup trucks back and forth, picking people up on the way. They all have a metal frame around them, so they can hang a tarp for the rainy season.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

camionetas and roatan

Postby rachel on Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:50 pm

sorry that i have disappeared off the face of the earth. while i was in minnesota for xmas i didn't have any time to write and i have been kinda preoccupied since i've been back in new york. you know that roatan is the island that i visited a few years ago, right? the reefs were awesome, although obviously i can't compare them to the other islands' reefs. those camionetas sound like a common form of travel in thailand--even more exciting to be in the back of a pickup truck when you're on those twisty mountain roads traveling too fast!
love you,
rachel<
rachel
Family

Re: camionetas and roatan

Postby danmason on Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:37 am

rachel wrote:you know that roatan is the island that i visited a few years ago, right? the reefs were awesome, although obviously i can't compare them to the other islands' reefs

Yeah, in the back of my head I remembered. Im not sure which island Ill goto, aparently utila has nice reefs, but they have a lot of dead reef as well, and no beaches. Roatan is nicer, but more expensive. Originally I was going to stay in the bay islands for a month, and I would have gone to utila. But now Im going to make a break for south america, so who knows. Adios!

Oh, by the way Im in flores now.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Your plans to go to South America

Postby kmason on Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:01 am

Hi Dan,

How are you getting on with your Spanish? If you go to South America, I imagine you will find fewer people who speak English.

Who are these guys that you are planning to go to South America with?

Love you,
Mom
kmason
Family

Re: Your plans to go to South America

Postby danmason on Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:14 am

kmason wrote:How are you getting on with your Spanish? If you go to South America, I imagine you will find fewer people who speak English.

Im still working on my vocabulary. I know enough spanish to get around, get food, etc.

kmason wrote:Who are these guys that you are planning to go to South America with?

Just some travellers I met earlier that have a similar schedule of no pressing reason to stop travelling.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

feria del lago peten itza

Postby danmason on Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:37 am

The whole time I was in flores, there was a nightly fair. They had US $0.60 beers. I met a nice girl from st. paul, who had visited tikal that day. She got to tikal after 3, so they gave her a free ticket for monday. She had to leave, so she gave me the ticket. Granted, its only 50Q to get in, but it was still cool.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Return to mexico and central america