antigua

dan goes to mexico, guatemala, honduras, nicaragua and panama

antigua

Postby danmason on Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:30 pm

I changed my plans. Since Im only a couple hours from Antgua, I am going to go there. Luckily I was able to change my Flores ticket to next friday, leaving from Antigua. Im heading to Antigua at 4 today. Part of the reason Im going to Antigua is that I want to look for a digital camera. I am tired of taking photos, and carrying around film. I shouldnt worry about it being stolen, as I have travel insurance for that nonsense. Also, some people I met earlier are going to be in Antigua on tuesday, so I can meet up with them. Antigua is aparently pretty developed, they have movie theatres! Speaking of movies, anything good come out lately?

Adios!

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Happy New Year!

Postby Lyssie on Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:55 pm

Hey Danny!
I just finished getting caught up on all of your posts because i havnt been getting this darn computer to work. I was so happy to talk to you on christmas eve, im glad we got ahold of you. Did you have a good time ringing in the new year? Happy 2003! You better be back by june i hope you know because i want you there for my graduation! :D That is if i dont run away from highschool first, i am so sick of school, i wish i could be with you right now. Im getting the winter blues. I mean there isnt even snow here yet so we cant at least have fun in this freezing tundra! :x I miss you lots Dan and i think about you all the time. I love the pictures by the way, you look like your just dan tha man hanging out and having a relaxing time. ANy whoooo... I will be better about staying up to date with your posts, hope all is well and your safe. I love you!
Your lil sis,
Alyssa :lol:
~*~Live ~*~ Laugh ~*~ Loved~*~ Be loved~*~
Lyssie
Family

Postby kmason on Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:20 pm

Hi Dan,

How is Antigua? Are the old buildings interesting? Did you meet up with your friends, and did you find a digital camera?

Where are you staying? I have read that it can be cold and damp there, and they advise to try to stay on the second floor of a building with no carpeting (less mold) and maybe buying a couple of blankets.

Love you,
Mom
kmason
Family

Postby danmason on Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:50 pm

kmason wrote:How is Antigua? Are the old buildings interesting? Did you meet up with your friends, and did you find a digital camera?

yeah, i met up with klaus and thomas on tuesday. theyre also going to flores, but not till tomorrow. i leave today at 6:30 for guate ciudad.

kmason wrote:Where are you staying? I have read that it can be cold and damp there, and they advise to try to stay on the second floor of a building with no carpeting (less mold) and maybe buying a couple of blankets.

im at a place called posada refugio. the place i stayed at the first night was gross, mold etc. my room at posada refugio is on the roof of the hotel. there are about 6 rooms up there, and a kitchen and bathroom. i can walk out my door and see lava bursting from volcan fuego. its pretty nice for 30Q (US $4).

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Re: Happy New Year!

Postby danmason on Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:08 pm

Lyssie wrote:Did you have a good time ringing in the new year? Happy 2003! You better be back by june i hope you know because i want you there for my graduation!

Yeah, I had a blast. I think Ive had my fill of firecrackers for the next few years. the night started with a roaming happy hour. we skipped that, and just went to the good bars. then around midnight the streets were full of people, the nearby clubs were blasting music outside, and firecrackers were everywhere. then at 2am the party moved to the point with trance music till 7 or 8am. it was a great time. i was tired, and wussed out around 4am.

I hope I can make it to your graduation. I really no longer have any clue when Ill return. I dont know if Ill have a chance to travel like this ever again, so Im going to take full advantage of it. I think Im going to visit every country south of the USA. I want to see the southern tip of south america. So, maybe Ill be back by june, maybe Ill be back by christmas, maybe 2004, who knows.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

awsome trip

Postby marcia on Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:26 pm

Hi Dan, I recieved your postcard and have read a couple of your entrys. Your website system is impressive, wondering how it works. Digital photos should be fun for you. The photos of San Pedro La Laguna looked familiar, I think that I stayed in the hotel shown in the photo. Was cheap and I enjoyed the hammocks overlooking the lake. I also studied Spanish there, but the family that I lived with spoke Mayan among themselves. The food was eggs for two meals per day, I wanted to buy my own food after day three. I also stayed in Antigua, on the roof top of a Spanish school with a volcano view. They have a kitchen which is nice for saving some money. Escuela de Cristo might be the name. The volcano tour was a rip off, they charged me more money than everyone else, the vehicle practically killed us from exhaust fumes. The lava was hidden by clouds but the rocks up there were hot enough to melt my shoes. Might be fun to go if you have the energy for a steep climb. There are lots of guards there now to prevent the robberies.
I'm leaving for Costa Rica on Jan 21, will return home from Panama on March 11. If you are in the neighborhood, drop by. My e-mail address is marciawilliston@hotmail.com. And if you would like any travel tips, I'd be happy to share what I know. Lots of cool stuff to see and do. Best wishes and I look forward towards reading the other messages that you posted. Marcia
marcia

volcan fuego

Postby danmason on Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:43 am

The other night we could see the lava spurting out. I thought it was normal, but as it turns out, its not normal.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/americas/view/29336/1/.html

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Volcano

Postby Lee Christoffersen on Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:04 pm

Hey Dan,
What's the current report on the volcano eruption. You said you could see the lava pouring out the other night from your Hotel room. Are you still in Antiqua? Sounds scary!!!

Please let us know what's happening, okay?
Love you,
G. Lee
Lee Christoffersen

Re: Volcano

Postby danmason on Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:10 am

Lee Christoffersen wrote:What's the current report on the volcano eruption. You said you could see the lava pouring out the other night from your Hotel room. Are you still in Antiqua? Sounds scary!!!

I have no idea, but I think it was just that one night. They evactuated the nearby villages, but nothing bad happened. Antigua is too far for it to matter, just a nice view.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Return to mexico and central america