san cristobal de las casas

dan goes to mexico, guatemala, honduras, nicaragua and panama

san cristobal de las casas

Postby danmason on Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:26 pm

palenque was too expensive, and there really wasn´t a lot to do, so i left. now i´m in san cristobal. this place is seems a little slower, more relaxed. i´m staying at a place called magic hostel. the place is pretty nice. i have a dorm. they have free movies, a kitchen, a few bathrooms, and a huge courtyard that all the dorm rooms empty into. they also aparently have internet access, but the computer is broken. heh, maybe tonight i´ll take a look at it. the only problem is i don´t speak spanish. hopefully windows is layed out the same. anyhow, this city is huge, and the hostel is cheap (about $4/night), so i´ll probably stick around here for a while. i think there are some spanish schools, so maybe that would be good. after that, i think guatemala, maybe tikal. flores sounds cool. adios!

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Postby kmason on Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:56 am

Hi Dan,

Did you get the email I sent you? Were you able to fix the computer at the hostel? And how is your Spanish coming along? Going to a school to learn more Spanish sounds like a really good plan.

The predicted high temperature in Mpls. today is 18 degrees. I hope you are enjoying the weather where you are! I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Take good care of yourself! I love you - Mom
kmason
Family

Hey Dan!

Postby Lyssie on Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:12 pm

:lol: Hi Dan!
Its lyssa here! I finally got onto your site to check it out and reply to your travel logs. Your lucky your there because its sooooooo cold here :shock: ! Its practically a freezing tundra! I miss you! Take lots of pictures!
I LOVE YOU!
Alyssa
~*~Live ~*~ Laugh ~*~ Loved~*~ Be loved~*~
Lyssie
Family

Postby danmason on Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:54 pm

kmason wrote:Hi Dan,

Did you get the email I sent you? Were you able to fix the computer at the hostel? And how is your Spanish coming along? Going to a school to learn more Spanish sounds like a really good plan.

yeah, and i replied. you didnt get the reply? i didnt fix the computer because when i got back, it was gone. ah well.

kmason wrote:The predicted high temperature in Mpls. today is 18 degrees. I hope you are enjoying the weather where you are! I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures.

18f? ouch. it gets down to around 40f at night here, that kinda sucks. but during the day, its like 75-80f.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Postby kmason on Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:17 pm

Hi Dan,

I just checked my other email account, and yes, I did get your reply! Thank you. :D (That's my old U of MN account, and I don't use it very often---I almost always email from work.)

I'm glad to hear that you are meeting interesting people. No, I didn't know that they speak French and German in Sweden, but I'm not surprised. Europeans have much more exposure to multiple countries and languages, whereas it's too easy for us, as Americans, to forget that we are not the center of the universe! (Speaking of which, here's an interesting item: I edited a course today called "Economic and Technological History of the 20th Century." I was shocked and disgusted to find that the textbook (Inventing America) and content of the course focus exclusively on American economic and technological history in the 20th century :evil: ! Apparently the rest of the world was on hold for the last century.)

So, that's my boring life; outrage at course titles is one of the most interesting parts of the day.

Don't worry about typos in your posts or emails; you are the one who has to pay for time online and work with foreign keyboards (we learned about those difficulties when Rachel was in Europe and Thailand). The rest of us, in our little homes and offices, certainly have more leisure to figure out what you meant if you accidentally hit a wrong key.

Keep having a wonderful time! I'm looking forward to your next account of your adventures, and I hope we will see some pictures soon. Ask someone to take a picture of you so we can see you in Mexico.

Love you lots,
Mom
kmason
Family

Postby danmason on Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:13 pm

kmason wrote:I just checked my other email account, and yes, I did get your reply! Thank you. :D (That's my old U of MN account, and I don't use it very often---I almost always email from work.)

I just hit reply.. :D

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Return to mexico and central america