managua

dan goes to mexico, guatemala, honduras, nicaragua and panama

managua

Postby danmason on Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:25 pm

Im back in Managua. I found a hostal close to the 'King Quality' bus station. Ill probably stay here for a couple days. I like capital cities, and modern things. Then early next week Ill head to Guatemala City.

I just need to vent for a second. The french people that I have met in my travels are complete and total morons. And theyre cocky about it. Its very annoying. I dont like to make blanket generalizations, but damn the french. Maybe one day Ill meet some french person that isnt stupid, but Im not holding my breath.
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Postby danmason on Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:35 pm

The taxi cabs in Nicaragua are strange. Even after you get in, and negociate a fare, they still look for new fares. The whole way between where you get in, and where you get out they look for other fares. Its kind of like a colectivo-taxi, but they charge full price. It was a little disturbing the first time, but Ive since gotten used to it.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Postby danmason on Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:57 pm

Sounds like San Pedro doesnt have a lot going on for Halloween. It also turns out my friend is out of town till sometime around the 5th. Im going back (1 hour or so) to Ometepe for the weekend with some people I met here in Managua. Im not certain when Ill head to Guatemala. Turns out theyre having national elections on the 9th, and there is potential for problems. Ive heard one of the Generals who is running has killed people who wouldnt allow his poster to be hung on their property, and has threatened to kill anyone who votes against him. This is all hearsay, but I plan to look into it before I jump accross the border.

In other interesting news, there was a big protest here yesterday. I was at Metro Center (1 of the 2 malls in this country) to see the new Samuel L. Jackson movie 'Formula 51'. I heard the pops of various bombs going off near the mall when I was walking around. Then I went into the food court for half an hour. When I came out the whole mall was filled with tear gas. I could smell the sulfer as I walked out, but it took about 20 feet before I realized what was irritating my eyes. But it was fine, I made my way (eyes closed, mouth covered) to the theatre. The theatre is all enclosed, so there was no gas inside. An interesting experience. The fire department had evaquated most of the mall by the time my movie was over, and I caught a cab back to my hotel.

Anyhow, gotta try and call Dad again. Ciao!

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Return to mexico and central america