banos

dan goes to colombia, ecuador, peru, bolivia, brasil, argentina, and venezuela

banos

Postby danmason on Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:54 pm

Hello again. Im in Banos Ecuador. Yes, I do think its strange that they name their city Banos, and no I do not know why. Maybe it says in my book, who knows. They seem to be really into mountain biking here, so I think tomorrow me and Thomas are going to try that. This town seems like some sort of tourist trap for ecuadorian people. Ecuador seems to have a lot of gringos, especially compared to Colombia. In quito we stayed in the old town, but when we went to the new town, it was gringo city. Anyhow, adios!

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Postby danmason on Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:43 pm

On sunday me, Thomas, and Klaus went on a 70km bike ride. It was really cool, all kinds of cliffs and waterfalls and stuff. There was a little cable car that crossed a huge gorge. It was a little rickety, and driven by an old car engine. But the view was incredible, and for a dollar, how can you go wrong. Then today me and Thomas went on a slightly smaller bike ride, maybe 2.5 hours of solid biking before we gave up, and caught a bus back. Tomorrow Thomas and I are going rafting. Klaus is scared of it because its a 3+ rapid. They havce them all the way up to 5, but you have to start small I guess. Anyhow, everything is great here in Banos. For you non-spanish speakers, banos is spanish for bathroom. I think the context is a little different here though. Probably something to do with the waterfalls all over the place, though shower is ducha, so who knows. Adios Amigos!

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

banos

Postby kmason on Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:14 pm

Hi Dan,

While you are out having what sounds like so much fun, I am here reading the South America guidebooks. I think I can explain the name of the town; technically, it means "bath," and I have read that there are lots of naturally occuring hot water baths in Banos (probably because there is also a lot of volcanic activity in the area). I'll bet a lot of Ecuadorians have come there for "the baths."

Whitewater rafting sounds so fun! I can't wait to hear about your rafting trip.

Love you,
Mom
kmason
Family

Postby danmason on Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:41 pm

Rafting was fun, but it wasnt as crazy as I thought it would be. There were some rough patches, but too much calm water in the middle. My arm is sore from paddling though, so I spose its good that there wasnt more rough spots. Near the end he said 'do you want some scarey?'. We of course said yes. So we ran the last rapid one at a time just floating. Basically simulating what would happen if you fell out in front of a serious rapid. Then we went up stream and did it 2 more times. Aparently when they first started rafting on the river they had regulations against it, but they realized they couldnt be enforced in the 3rd world. Good stuff. I want to try a 4. He said 5 is nearly impossible.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Postby Lee on Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:19 pm

Hey Dangerous Dan McMason,
Pleeeese don't try a "5"!!!!!! Have you tried a "4"yet? Are you an excellent swimmer I hope? Is there anything you won't try? I hope your Guardian Angel is tending to business.

I can't tell you what a wonderful relief it is to hear from you frequently since we are beginning to realize what a sense of adventure you possess.
How is the food? Are getting plenty of it?

I got a kick out of your perception of the Equator (a yellow line I think you said) How hot is it there? Have I told you lately to take good care of yourself???????
Love & warm hugs,
G :D :D
Lee

hey babes!

Postby Lyssie on Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:07 pm

:D Hey Broda! Have i told you lately i highly apreciate pictures of those hotties you met up with on the trip !?!?! :shock: OOOHHHHWEEEE!!! we had a few warm days here, but now it is back to hell. MN sucks. Its my spring break next week, maybe i'll swing up there to see yah! 8) hahaha yah right...I wish... Well I love you, talk to you soon.
Luv Lyssie
~*~Live ~*~ Laugh ~*~ Loved~*~ Be loved~*~
Lyssie
Family

Postby danmason on Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:44 pm

Lee wrote:Pleeeese don't try a "5"!!!!!! Have you tried a "4"yet? Are you an excellent swimmer I hope

Dont worry Ive already left the place where you can raft. I hear peru has some good rafting though, Ill have to check that out. Im an ok swimmer, but we also had wetsuits, helmets, and special life jackets. The Guide also carried a couple lines that he can throw to you, and drag you back in. I didnt come close to falling out. Thomas almost fell out, he was holding himself in by one foothold, but I pulled him back in.

Lee wrote:How is the food? Are getting plenty of it?

The food was pretty good in Banos, because they get a lot of tourists. Not so great here in Rio Bamba though.

Lee wrote:I got a kick out of your perception of the Equator (a yellow line I think you said) How hot is it there?

Its a little chilly. Im right on the equator, but Im also high up in the mountains. The air is very thin here, I get short of breath if I walk fast.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Re: hey babes!

Postby danmason on Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:51 pm

Lyssie wrote::D Hey Broda! Have i told you lately i highly apreciate pictures of those hotties you met up with on the trip !?!?! :shock: OOOHHHHWEEEE!!! we had a few warm days here, but now it is back to hell. MN sucks. Its my spring break next week, maybe i'll swing up there to see yah! 8) hahaha yah right...I wish... Well I love you, talk to you soon.
Luv Lyssie

Come on down! Well goto the galapagos islands. Heh. I assume youre talking about Shane and Thomas. Looks like its a nice 36f there today, wow Im glad Im not there. So hows the USA now that ´show down iraq´ has begun? They really dont like the USA down here. ´united snakes´ and ´estados banditos´ are fairly common phrases. Glad Im not there, maybe Ill come back in 2004 when its all over. Anyhow, love you Alyssa!

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Return to south america