santa cruz

dan goes to colombia, ecuador, peru, bolivia, brasil, argentina, and venezuela

santa cruz

Postby danmason on Wed May 14, 2003 3:01 pm

Im in Santa Cruz now. Got here 8am today. Its nice to be out of the Andes. Its about 88f here. Im going to apply for my Brasilian VISA tomorrow. Ill probably stay here for the weekend, then leave sunday for Trinidad.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Re: santa cruz

Postby danmason on Wed May 21, 2003 12:42 pm

danmason wrote:Im in Santa Cruz now. Got here 8am today. Its nice to be out of the Andes. Its about 88f here. Im going to apply for my Brasilian VISA tomorrow. Ill probably stay here for the weekend, then leave sunday for Trinidad.

Im sure by now, with my lack of posts that Grandma is going crazy. Not to worry, Im just fine. This VISA for Brasil has turned out to be a lot more work that I wouldve hoped. First I had to make it to a bank that closes at noon every day. That alone could have prevented me from visiting Brasil. I made it to that bank, and paid the required $100. Then went the next day to the consulate, but they close daily at 2pm. So the next day I get there, and they wanted a photo copy of my credit cards. Ok, easy, but theyll be closed soon so Ill come back tomorrow. Next day, now they want a declaration of where I plan to enter, and every city Ill visit, and where Ill exit, along with a timetable. I really hate planning. So I wrote out a whole 3 months of plans. Fine, except it has to be an official declaration, ie I have to visit a notary public. Finally all set, but the consulate is closed. So today I brought them all their things. They took the papers, and my passport, and aparently tomorrow afternoon Ill have a visa. At this point its the weekend, so Ill leave for Trinidad monday. May as well live it up for the weekend!

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Re: santa cruz

Postby VideoMan on Wed May 21, 2003 3:13 pm

danmason wrote:
danmason wrote:Im in Santa Cruz now. Got here 8am today. Its nice to be out of the Andes. Its about 88f here. Im going to apply for my Brasilian VISA tomorrow. Ill probably stay here for the weekend, then leave sunday for Trinidad.

Im sure by now, with my lack of posts that Grandma is going crazy. Not to worry, Im just fine. This VISA for Brasil has turned out to be a lot more work that I wouldve hoped. First I had to make it to a bank that closes at noon every day. That alone could have prevented me from visiting Brasil. I made it to that bank, and paid the required $100. Then went the next day to the consulate, but they close daily at 2pm. So the next day I get there, and they wanted a photo copy of my credit cards. Ok, easy, but theyll be closed soon so Ill come back tomorrow. Next day, now they want a declaration of where I plan to enter, and every city Ill visit, and where Ill exit, along with a timetable. I really hate planning. So I wrote out a whole 3 months of plans. Fine, except it has to be an official declaration, ie I have to visit a notary public. Finally all set, but the consulate is closed. So today I brought them all their things. They took the papers, and my passport, and aparently tomorrow afternoon Ill have a visa. At this point its the weekend, so Ill leave for Trinidad monday. May as well live it up for the weekend!

Dan

Go dan go!

Hey BTW- I'm getting married. Are you going to be around on June 21st? send me an email- videoman at drstrangelove dot net
VideoMan

got my visa!

Postby danmason on Thu May 22, 2003 1:32 pm

I got my VISA for Brasil today. And 1 suprise, they gave me a multiple entry visa. Its good for the next 5 years. I can spend 6 months a year in Brasil for 5 years. Wow!

After reviewing my book, I have changed my plans (again). If I go for the amazon, it will take me 3 months to get through Brasil. I need to be in Sao Paulo before July 1st to change an airline ticket, so that 3 months thing wont work. Maybe Ill do the amazon thing later.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Postby junkmonk on Thu May 22, 2003 7:19 pm

Hey bro,

Scott Here. I'm just out here in Montana illin' with the Grizzly Bears and picking fights with the wind. I thought we would have lost you to the Amazon by now, but it looks like that's still in your future. I was wondering if you found Che in the jungles of Bolivia. I heard he was hiding out there with Nixon and Elvis. He wanted that silver plated gun, so I heard.

I have to admit I'm a bit jealous, but we'll all have our time, eh? I don't know what your plans are, but I'd make sure you make it to Argentina at some point. Your money will go hella far there right now and it's some pretty amazing country (rainforests to glacier fields). But hell, at this rate you'll probably make it to the South Pole. I hear they ferment some pretty righteous brew down there at McMurdo Station. Speaking of, How's the beer? Any ales, or just a lot of watery lagers? I guess it's not the type of environment that begs a good pale ale.

Take Care,
Ottsk.
junkmonk

Postby danmason on Sat May 24, 2003 3:48 pm

junkmonk wrote:I thought we would have lost you to the Amazon by now, but it looks like that's still in your future. I was wondering if you found Che in the jungles of Bolivia. I heard he was hiding out there with Nixon and Elvis. He wanted that silver plated gun, so I heard.

Not sure when Ill make it to the Amazon, Ive gotta enter Brasil from a different side. As for Che, he is dead. Ive seen the autopsy photos. Its no suprise that his Bolivian revolution failed, these people are almost as lazy as I am. Almost.

junkmonk wrote:I have to admit I'm a bit jealous, but we'll all have our time, eh? I don't know what your plans are, but I'd make sure you make it to Argentina at some point. Your money will go hella far there right now and it's some pretty amazing country (rainforests to glacier fields). But hell, at this rate you'll probably make it to the South Pole. I hear they ferment some pretty righteous brew down there at McMurdo Station. Speaking of, How's the beer? Any ales, or just a lot of watery lagers? I guess it's not the type of environment that begs a good pale ale.

Ill get to Argentina right after Brasil. Cross over at Foz de Iguacu. I cant wait to see the Moreno Glacier field. I hear that chunks the size of houses fall off. The beer here is not so great. Mostly water, and if you drink too much, you get some nasty gut rott pain. However, a couple restaurants down here import Negra Modelo from Mexico, so all is not lost.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

finally leaving

Postby danmason on Sat May 31, 2003 5:18 pm

Well, after thawing out and partying for 2 weeks here in Santa Cruz, I am leaving. Yesterday I bought a ticket to the border of Brasil. I splurged and went with super-pullman class ($20). The whole portuguese language thing should prove interesting, though Im not terribly concerned. Just when I was getting better with my spanglish and falso-salsa dancing Im changing to portuguese and samba. Such a hard-knock life for me. :)

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Postby Mom on Sat May 31, 2003 11:08 pm

Hi Honey,

Thanks for that post; I laughed out loud at your comment, because it seems you are having a wonderful time, and I'm so glad.
Where will you be entering Brazil?

Love you,
Mom
Mom

Postby danmason on Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:50 pm

Im taking a train to Quijarro Bolivia, which is a border town. Im not sure whats on the Brasil side, I guess Ill read that on the train.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Return to south america