parque nacional tayrona

dan goes to colombia, ecuador, peru, bolivia, brasil, argentina, and venezuela

parque nacional tayrona

Postby danmason on Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:37 pm

Last Saturday I went to Parque Nacional Tayrona. Its a national park, about an hour or so from Santa Marta Colombia. I went to the park with a guy from New Zealand who was also staying at my hotel. We got there around 12:30, and hiked to the beach where there are a couple hotels, and restaurants. I ate a big fried fish, and got a room. You cant swim in front of my hotel due to bad currents, so I hiked down the beach. They have two swimming beachs, La Piscina (the pool) and El Cabo (the end). La Piscina looks like open sea, but there is a big circle of under water rocks and reefs that break the waves. I dont carry a snorkel, so I couldnt check out the reef. I dont think I missed much though, because the water just off the beach was filled with dead alge or something that was clouding the water. So I went swimming in El Cabo, which is just a small bay. The next day me, the guy from New Zealand, and a Colombian hiked to Pueblito (small village), which is a small town of indigenous people in the jungle. It was a really hard trek for a lazy-ass like myself. The whole thing was climbing up big rocks up and up through the jungle. I mean up and up and up till you think it cant get any higher, but it just never ends. It took about 2.5 or 3 hours to get to Pueblito. The Colombian guy knew the people and we hung out with them for maybe 10 minutes, then continued on into the jungle. The Colombian guy was going back to the beach, and we headed for the park exit. It took another 2.5 hours or so to get to the exit. It was more hiking up, too much for me. Luckily there were a couple streams to cool off in on the way. On the way up the Colombian guy showed us a stream that he had drank from for years, so we tried it. I havnt got sick yet, so I think it was fine. The water was very clean. Near the end on the way out we came accross a part of the stream that formed a big natural pool, and cooled off there for a while before hiking the rest of the way to the road, and catching a bus into town. All in all it was good, but far too much treking/work for me. Its a good thing I didnt go on the 4 day trip to the lost city! The jungle was so hot, I was drenched in sweat. I got a few pictures, including some mushroom shots for Bryn.

Dan
danmason
Drunken Pirate

Return to south america